2/10/11

Family Perogies


Perogies - a meal my German
Great Grandmather Tilly
made for her many children.
Potatoes and dough,
two very cheap and accessible
ingredients that could feed a
large farming family.

Grandma Tilly taught
my mom to make these
hand crafted perogies
sometime ago.
I still remember that day
she came to visit us in B.C.
Her and my mom spent all day
in the kitchen making
these perogies and homemade donuts.

To our delight,
my mom learned well.
She continued to make
these delicious perogies
while we were growing up.
Frying them in lots of margerine,
cubes of bread and onions.
The outside of the perogies,
as well as the bread cubes,
would get crunchy and flavoured like butter.
We would have them with
sour cream and Remple's Farmer Sausage.

In my own married life,
I have made these perogies
a couple of times myself.
Striving to get the same consistency
in my dough,
the same flavour
in the filling and cooking them in a similar way,
that my mom did,
as well as my great grandmother.

Today,
for the third time,
I attempted this day long process.
I cannot give you the recipe,
that would just be wrong!
But I can tell you that
I am not as swift with the rolling pin,
or pinching in the edges.
However,
the end result is pretty good.
But if you compared them to
my mom's,
you'd still (and probably always)
will like hers better.


The potato filling of bacon bits and caramelized onions.


Waiting for the dough to rise...

Out from the boiling water and onto the cooling racks to drain.


Taste testing. Almost perfection.

No comments: